20110804

WHORE PROM DIGEST 8.4.11

Whore Prom:  every Saturday night at the Maritime Hotel...especially in the summer when what passes fashion in the heart of Chelsea/Meat Packing feels the need to show more skin.  The music is rad though.  Check it out live every Saturday at the Maritime Hotel Caffe, 10pm-2am.  Here are some picks from my set.

This week we listen to a dreamy track off the upcoming Class Actress full length, drown in vocal effects and the more cartoon sounds of French pop kids DAT Politics, listen to the sound of two Canadians feeding Fat Bob another doughnut, mope about to some Swedish synth pop and finally...a latin freestyle revival?


song // band // album (year)
click the track title/artist name, ect to buy the song!

I'm Not In Love // Crystal Castles (feat. Robert Smith) // single, Crystal Castles II (2010)

The song is old news at this point, but the combination of Crystal Castles awesome synth style and Robert Smith's trademark croon is a great match.  This is the definition of a good cover...reinventing the song without destroying it.  Good job fat Bob!!!  I wonder if they paid him Canadian bacon.  Get it?!?!  Cuz they are from Canada?!?!  And he's a fatty!?!?!  whomp whomp.

Keep You // Class Actress // Rapprocher (2011)
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is stoked to hear Class Actress' debut album, Rapprocher, when it finally gets released in October.  This a track of the forthcoming album--it's been floating around the internet since the band released it as a teaser.  Hopefully, their new album is as good as last year's amazing ep, Journal of Ardency.

Bad Dream Machine // DAT Politics // Mad Kit (2010)
Bad Dream Machine by DAT POLITICS (Official)
 I'm surprised I haven't mentioned these guys.  2010's Mad Kit is my favorite of their stellar discography.  If you can believe it, this is one of the less weird tracks off the record.  Cartoon sounds + tons of vocal effects = love.

 Solitude // Tribeca // Dragon Down (2005)
Once described by a friend of mine as "...like Postal Service, but with balls..." and I couldn't agree more.  Mostly an electronic outing Lasse Lindh's fragile vocals are emotional packed, one part sneer, one part "I'd like to scream but I can't" rasp where as a certain singer from Postal Service could only manage a forgetable, limp and soft delivery.  Plus the lyrics are awkward and amazing.  "...me, quiet me in my shades just thinking we shall need some drugs if we're gonna get through..."

It Goes Through Your Head // Nite Jewel // single (2011)
 It really sounds like someone loves Debbie Deb.  I think that about sums it up.  I hope Nite Jewel continues in the vein.  Cuz the title track off her new 12" is so rad.

See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment